Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Nick Drake - Pink Moon (1972)


One of my favorite nighttime CDs, this is a difficult album to write about because it is so enigmatic. It is folk music, but it is pop and possibly the first New Age album. It is depressing, but beautiful. The songs are simple, but they're very complex. Some songs are too brief, but they're overflowing with emotion. I won't even try to write anymore. I'll shut up and listen because I hear something wonderfully new every time I listen.


And now I'm going to post this gibberish, put on my headphones, and listen to the whole thing again.

Update: In its 2020 list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, Rolling Stone ranked Pink Moon at #203.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  Did not chart

Tracks:  This 29 minute album must absolutely, positively be experienced from start to finish with no skipping or shuffling. I wouldn't have it any other way. Tonight's favorites are the title cut, Things Behind The Sun, Parasite, and From the Morning.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  None, because when I listen to this album, I'm alone and I try to give this work the attention it deserves.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Bryter Layter (1970)
Five Leaves Left (1969)

No comments:

Post a Comment