Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Shemekia Copeland - Talking to Strangers (2002)


Down home rhythm and blues (heavy on the blues) in the gritty southern tradition. Along with contributing some songwriting and piano playing, New Orleans funkmaster Dr. John produced this album and he's a perfect fit with Shemekia. One of the most powerful voices I've ever heard, but she's in full control throughout. In contrast to her previous albums where she had to belt it out at full volume against an over-produced, heavy-handed accompaniment, this album sees Shemekia vary her styles alongside a tight, but restrained band. I'm hesitant to call this Shemekia's best album ever because she was only 23 when she recorded it, but I'm hard-pressed to find otherwise. I have to be in the right mood to listen to it, but when I am, it don't get much better. A perfect summertime evening album.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  My top picks are Livin' On Love, Two's A Crowd, Walk On, The Push I Need, and Happy Valentine's Day. The album closes with Shemekia doing a smokin' cover of a song made famous by her father, Johnny Copeland. I usually skip the title track.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None. Still waiting to see her live - I bet she brings the house down.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Turn The Heat Up (1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment