Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Night Ranger - Dawn Patrol (1982)


This debut album from Night Ranger is just ok - to me it sounds a lot like Loverboy with a better guitarist. Then again, this group was always more of a singles band to me. Even so, I just couldn't pass up a cheap copy ($1.99) of this CD when I saw it sitting in the bargain bin of the local music store. Lots of energy and good playing throughout, Jack Blades just hadn't quite found his songwriting chops yet.

Press of the time:
  • CashBox: "loud power chord-dominated ditties"
  • RPM: "Don't Tell Me You Love Me...should bring attention to the album, although Eddie's Comin' Out Tonight and the title track are just as hot"

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #38
  • Billboard Rock: #7
  • CashBox: #32

Tracks:  The best tracks are Don't Tell Me You Love Me (#40 pop, #4 rock), Sing Me Away (#54 pop, #39 rock), and Eddie's Comin' Out Tonight. The other tunes range from average rockers (At Night She Sleeps, Young Girl In Love) to downright bad (the obligatory power ballad Call My Name, the minor keyed Play Rough which features the classic lyric "you can carry on like an ice machine").

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  None. At the time of this album's release, I was more of a technopop guy, so I've only recently heard this album in its entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment