Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, March 17, 2014

The Corrs - Forgiven, Not Forgotten (1995)


The Corrs are a sibling pop band from Ireland; this was their debut album. I've heard the group's music described as "Celtic Pop" but I think that description is somewhat off the mark. Adding traditional instruments (tin whistle, fiddle, bodhrán) for an Irish twist to mid-tempo adult contemporary songs, the group dented the US charts, but were far more successful overseas. As is common with siblings, the vocal harmonies blend together beautifully. For this album, the group worked with producer David Foster, so I like the overall sound of the album (it's not a stretch to compare the sound to Chicago 16 with a fiddle taking the place of the horn section). There are a few traditional Irish tunes (Erin Shore, The Minstrel Boy) that seem to have been added to remind the listener that this family is Irish, but they perfectly showcase the talents of violinist Sharon Corr. This CD doesn't get as much playing time around here as it did when it was first released, but it's a solid AC release. Even so, I've never heard any subsequent releases by the band.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #131

Tracks:  It's all harmless but enjoyable soft rock. My top songs are the title track, Someday, Runaway, Secret Life, and the instrumental Toss The Feathers. The reggae bounce of The Right Time doesn't quite fit.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  I can't remember if I bought this album because the single Runaway got a lot of airplay on Houston radio or because I caught the band promoting the album on The Today Show. Aww, who am I fooling? I bought it because The Corrs were the New Year's Eve headline act at The Peach Pit After Dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment