Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Various Artists - Crucial Acoustic Blues (2007)


Around 2007, Alligator Records put out a series of 9 Crucial Blues samplers (Crucial Chicago Blues, Crucial Texas Blues, etc). At the time, I wanted to hear (and play) acoustic blues so I picked this one up - one of those rare impulse buys that actually works out. I was born in the Mississippi Delta, so this kind of music could very well be the first I ever heard. I'm partial to the harp, and there's some great playing on these tracks. Like good samplers should, this disc led me to buy at least one full length disc: Alone and Acoustic by Buddy Guy & Junior Wells.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  Did not chart

Tracks:

My top picks are tracks 1, 3, 5, 6, 11 & 13. No skipping.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  I went through a serious blues phase about 5 or 6 years ago in which I had the blues and only listened to the blues. All I wanted to do was sit on the porch, smoke cigars, and play/listen to acoustic blues. Money, job, and family obligations kept me from ever doing that, but in my mind I was there every day. Turns out I didn't have the blues, just low blood pressure. A simple medication adjustment and my serious blues phase was over. I still think about that porch, though.

1 comment: