Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Lee Ritenour - Rit's House (2002)


One of many cases in which the critics and I don't agree. They loved this album when it was released because it wasn't commercial pop-jazz and Ritenour gave himself more room to stretch out and display his improv skills. That's all fine and good, unless you happen to enjoy commercial pop-jazz (which I do). And who says the two have to be mutually exclusive? Anyway, the main problem with this album is weak midtempo material that ends up running together after a while. I keep waiting for "Captain Fingers" to rip into something and live up to his nickname. I don't often visit this house; I usually go for Ritenour's Brazilian-flavored releases or his West Coast album, Rit.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: There are a few tracks here I enjoy, including A Little Dolphin Dreamin' and Olinda. There's a slow cover of The Police's Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic (my favorite Police track) with vocals by the inimitable Michael McDonald. The thing is, I can't decide whether I like it or not. Somedays I'll hear it and love it; other days I'll think it's a hot mess and reach for the skip button. It's one of the few songs that effect me in that way.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Larry & Lee (1995)
Festival (1988)
Harlequin (1985)
On The Line (1983)
Out Of The Shadows (1982)
"Rit" (1981)
Rio (1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment