Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, December 9, 2013

Thelonious Monk - Ken Burns JAZZ Collection (2000)


A compilation of 14 pieces covering the years 1947-71. Much like the Coltrane's A Love Supreme, I listen to this album trying to figure out just what's going on, both compositionally and with Monk's piano solos. I'm fascinated by his less-is-more approach to playing. Beautiful contributions from Sonny Rollins and John Coltrane.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  Did not chart

Tracks:  Monk's most famous tune is here, 'Round Midnight. I'm also liking Well You Needn't, Blue Monk, and Nice Work If You Can Get It. Track I really don't understand: Brilliant Corners

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: When I was 17, I thought I'd learn more about Monk by picking up the tribute album That's The Way I Feel Now on cassette. Even though I'd heard of most of the musicians performing on the album, I was immediately confused by the complexity of the music. Being a typical teenage, I gave up; I think I only listened to that tape once. Buying this CD was a another attempt at understanding the music. Results pending.


No comments:

Post a Comment