Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, December 20, 2013

Simple Minds - Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call (1981)


UK Import

Note: this release was originally obtained as a 2 LP gift in the early '80s, later replaced by the 2002 remastered CD.  From wikipedia:
Sons and Fascination and Sister Feelings Call were two separate albums. Both assembled from the same sessions and released at the same time and, in some instances, sold as a double-LP set. The two releases are variously categorised as a double album, two single albums or a single album and an extended play. The CD version contains all the tracks once split onto two LPs, with their respective track running orders preserved. [for more on this ill-advised album release plan, click here]
The album(s) where Simple Minds found their groove and began to focus on what they wanted to sound like. While not the group's best release, these songs led to an impressive three album run from 1982-85 for Jim Kerr and the boys.  The biggest difference between this music and what followed is the production.  It is very heavy and muddled compared to New Gold Dream, but for some reason I really like the sound of everything, particularly the way the guitar plays off the keyboard.  Lyrically, I have no idea what's going on (e.g., "babies cannot manage crocodiles"), but the word choice just fits the musical imagery.  No liner notes to speak of; unforgivable in a remaster release.  Virgin Records should understand that at the very least I need lyrics.

Smash Hits, September 3, 1981, p. 25

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  From Sons and Fascination (tracks 1-8), my top picks are In Trance As Mission, 70 Cities As Love Brings The Fall, and Love Song.  The weakest track is This Earth That You Walk Upon.  From the Sister Feelings Call tracks (9-15), I like Theme For Great Cities, The American, and Sound In 70 Cities.  Skip track 13, League Of Nations.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I didn't listen to these albums much when I was in high school, but this CD has since become my "go-to" music that I pull off the shelf whenever I'm feeling nostalgic for those days.  That usually means that this CD provides the accompaniment while I leaf through my old high school yearbooks and send out the occasional text message to classmates.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Glittering Prize (1992)
Once Upon a Time (1985)
New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment