Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Painted On Water - Chicago Issue (2013)


This promo CD landed on my doorstep about 2 weeks ago and I've given it a few listens since then. It's a 5 track EP from a Turkish duo that has recently set up headquarters in Chicago. I normally enjoy rock music sung by females, so for the most part, I'm digging this mixed bag. Crunching guitars over synth loops; sounds a lot like Garbage, Blur, or Muse to these ears. Songwriter/instrumentalist/producer Demir Demirkan does a great job with mixing up timbres and has a few good hooks in him. I'm hearing only the very occasional Turkish influence; this is straight ahead electronic rock. For the most part, I like it but I'm left wondering if there's still a large market for this kind of music. According to their website, there's a full length LP on the way next year.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  Did not chart

Tracks:  Of these five, the better tracks are When I Need You Most and A New Me. I could do without the power ballad Hating You Loving You. The better ballad is the closer, Despite Ourselves.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

1 comment:

  1. Per your tip, I checked them out on Spotify. It is crunchy and synthy as you described though the lady's voice doesn't do anything for these ears. Pulled up their 2009 EP Love and a lot has changed over the past four years: in addition to changing their look somewhat, the majority of the music is acoustic. Still not a fan.

    ReplyDelete