Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Minnie Riperton - Perfect Angel/Adventures in Paradise (1974/1975)


"IT'S NEW TO ME" WEEK (OCTOBER 20-26, 2013)

Note: the CD I listened to was the 2004 UK reissue.

Prior to purchasing this 2-fer disc, I was only familiar with Riperton through her presence on various compilation and soundtrack discs and her 1975 #1 hit, Lovin' You. I've only had this CD for a few weeks, but I've listened to it almost every day since its purchase. Tooting my own horn, this was a smart (if not overdue) purchase. I doubt I would have bought these albums at the time of release, but I sure wish I would have come across them in the '80s around the same time I was discovering early '70s Stevie Wonder or, at the very least, when all the acid jazz groups of the '90s were copping Riperton's sound.

Is it soul? R&B? Soft rock? Let's take the easy way out and just call it a beautifully simple combination of all three. Riperton's impressive vocal range would be enough to make her a star, but I'm also impressed by the varied songwriting here. Not a bad crew of backing musicians here, either: Stevie Wonder, Michael Sembello, Deniece Williams, Larry Carlton, Joe Sample, and Tom Scott.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: Perfect Angel #4, Adventures in Paradise #18
  • Billboard R&B: Perfect Angel #1 (3 weeks), Adventures in Paradise #5

Tracks:  The Perfect Angel album is better than its follow-up, but it's a very close race. There's not a bad track on the Perfect Angel album (tracks 1-9); my favorites are Reasons, Take A Little Trip, Perfect Angel, and, of course, Lovin' You. Tracks 10-19 make up 1975's Adventures In Paradise. Top tracks on the latter album include Baby This Love I Have, Love And It's Glory, and Inside My Love.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None


No comments:

Post a Comment