Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Chet Baker - Chet (1959)


A smooth, simple, melodic sound - that's Chet Baker. Most trumpet players like to play high and fast, but not Baker. I don't know if he couldn't, or wisely wouldn't. That makes for some pleasant music. This purely instrumental album finds Baker in his prime, surrounded by a fantastic band including Pepper Adams, Bill Evans, and Kenny Burrell. He chooses quality material (I wonder if they called them "standards" back then?), slows the tempo on almost everything, and keeps it relaxed and romantic - creating a perfect late night album.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  I bought this CD for Baker's take on How High The Moon which, for me, sets the bar for that standard. I also enjoy Alone Together, September Song, and (because I'm a sucker for Cole Porter tunes) You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My first attempt at listening to this CD was around 1999 on a school bus filled with raucous teenaged students traveling to or from a football game. That is definitely not the place for this music. I don't know what I was thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment