Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere (2006)


An impulse buy, brought on by the hit song Crazy, a clever band name, intriguing cover art, and Danger Mouse hype. The album isn't terrible and Cee Lo is a great singer, but I don't think the material is that strong. Most critics disagree with me (which never surprises me) as it received good reviews; Metacritic scored it at 81. So this is one of those CDs that make me shrug and think, "I guess I'm missing something because I'm not hearing what everyone else is hearing."

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #4

Tracks:  There's no better song on the disc than Crazy, but Smiley Faces and Who Cares? try to come close. All the songs are incredibly short (the album clocks in at around 37 minutes, incredibly brief for a 2006 release), so by the time things get going, we're off to the next track. The cover of the Violent Femmes' Gone Daddy Gone is quite good, too. The worse song is The Boogie Monster, followed closely by the disturbingly nihilistic Necromancer.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None. This disc doesn't get any playing time around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment