Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Various Artists - What The World Needs Now: Big Deal Recording Artists Perform the Songs of Burt Bacharach (1998)


A bunch of alt/indie artists from the '90s attempt to cover classic Bacharach tunes and, for the most part, completely miss the point of the songs. Most bands completely ignore the subtlety of Bacharach's intricate chords and mixed meters and choose to just plow straight through. These songs deserve better than 3-chord, 4/4, power pop covers drenched in feedback and distortion. I bought this because I enjoy Bacharach tunes, but should have known better. I was unfamiliar with Big Deal records and, with the exception of Shonen Knife, I was previously unfamiliar with the 14 artists represented here. Lesson learned. The review from People magazine sums it up nicely: "what played nicely in 1967 can sound awfully corny in 1998." Stick with the versions you know.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: It's not all bad. The Wondermints do a good job with Don't Go Breaking My Heart. Other than that, these groups hack at these classics like bad wedding reception bands.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None. Today is the disc's second play.

1 comment:

  1. The cover of "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" by Splitsville is excellent. Makes me wonder what else this reviewer may have missed. Just bought the CD, so I guess I'll find out.

    ReplyDelete