Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Depeche Mode - The Singles 86>98 (1998)


If a little is good, more must be better, right? Well.....

Long story short: I should have just purchased a CD copy of 1990's Violator and been done with it. I found this two disc compilation in the used bin for a reason.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #38

Tracks: The best songs are on the first disc: Strangelove, Personal Jesus, Enjoy The Silence, Policy Of Truth, and World In My Eyes. That's 5 good tracks out of 21. Skip disc 2 entirely; even the somewhat decent live version of Everything Counts can't save it.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: The first song I remember hearing from this group was People Are People in the summer of 1985. I hated it then and I'm still not a fan of that particular song. That explains why I don't have the earlier compilation, The Singles 81→85, even though it contains better songwriting from Vince Clarke.

I owned the aforementioned Violator album on cassette and, despite objections from my students, it got plenty of playing time in my classroom in 1990.

1 comment:

  1. Yep. DM are like "the little girl with the little curl, right in the middle of her forehead".
    ...When they are good, they are good, they are very, very good, but when they are bad, they are horrid.

    ReplyDelete