Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Jay Graydon - Airplay for The Planet (1993)


Note: the CD I listened to was the 2002 reissue on Sonic Thrust Records, remastered with a bonus track.

Previously, I've written many good things about Jay Graydon on this blog from his stellar work with such artists as Steely Dan, Al Jarreau, and the Manhattan Transfer.  Even before I knew exactly who he was, I was enjoying Graydon's songwriting, guitar work, and producing. This album is more or less the follow-up to his 1980 Airplay collaboration with David Foster and it has a definite '80s vibe to it. Foster shows up on a few tracks here, along with other West Coast AOR names like Bill Champlin, Abe Laboriel, and Jerry Hey. The songwriting is good enough, but Graydon's guitar solos are a treat. Graydon's incredible, clean production skills always make me go and find my Bose headphones before listening so I don't miss any of the nuances. Worth seeking out.

In 1995, Graydon released an instructional video with the same title as this CD. It's cheesy in a '90s-direct-to-video kind of way, but it is fun to watch him play incredibly technical solos like it was as easy as tying shoes.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Since I bought this because I enjoy Graydon's work, it shouldn't surprise you that I like most of the 11 tracks here. As I said in my post about the 1980 Airplay album: "To a middle aged man constantly trying to recapture his youth (I'm talking about myself, of course), this is great stuff." Included is another version of After The Love Is Gone, featuring the original songwriters Foster, Champlin, and Graydon. Other highlights include Holdin' On To Love, Roxann, When You Look In My Eyes (which sounds like a "love theme" from a mid-'80s Brat Pack movie), and the bonus track, I Do. The only track I'll occasionally skip is Show Me The Magic but that's mainly because of the "orchestra hit" synth sounds that grate on me.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

2 comments:

  1. Could you tell the difference between the '93 version and this remastered CD?

    I cannot keep away from this album! I loved Jay's work in "Jarreau", you should try listening to David Roberts' Anywhere You Run To on his "All Dressed Up" album - it features Jay Graydon and Steve Lukather.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ntPvgqQR0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard the '93 version, so I can't compare. But I will tell you this mix sounds fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete