Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits (1966)

CD cover

Note: the CD I listened to was the 1997 CD reissue.

When Dave Brubeck died in December of last year, it occurred to me that I didn't own any of his records. That's embarrassing to admit. I rectified my oversight later that month with the purchase of this greatest hits package. It was either this compilation or the legendary Time Out album. Brubeck wasn't just a great jazz pianist, he was a great musician in every sense of the word. He will be missed, but his music will be around for a long while. Recordings here span the years 1956-64. This CD reissue includes the wonderful original liner notes.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #104

Tracks: Dude could swing, but my favorite pieces are his odd meter stuff. If I had to choose a top track, I'd go with Unsquare Dance (in 7), followed by Take Five (in 5). Unsquare Dance may get some new attention because of its inclusion in the award-winning movie, Silver Linings Playbook. Even the tunes you've never heard before seem immediately familiar. Now that's good music. Don't skip any of these tracks.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None. What took me so long to buy this sweet stuff? I should have paid closer attention to Brubeck when I was in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment