Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Jimmy Cobb's Mob - Only For The Pure At Heart (1998)


On a trip to New York City in January, 1999, I wanted to check out the jazz club Birdland. I would have gone to see anybody perform, but lucked into catching legendary jazz drummer Jimmy Cobb. He played with all the greats, but Cobb's most famous recording would have to be his work on Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue. At the time I heard him, he was the last surviving player from those fabled 1959 sessions. I ordered this disc not long after I returned home. I originally just purchased this CD as a show souvenir, but it turns out to be a really good, relaxed bop album which could have just as easily been released in the late 50's as the late '90s. Cobb put together a great quartet and doesn't seem to mind not being out front. I really enjoy Peter Bernstein on guitar; especially his tone.

An historic jazz venue, by the time I got to Birdland in 1999, the club was at its third location on 44th St. which is roomy and comfortable - no complaints about that. However, I would have loved to have seen the original space on Broadway where it operated from 1949-1965. BTW, our food at Birdland that night wasn't good. We would have been better off eating somewhere else and then catching the show.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: My favorite track is the take on the standard Stars Fell On Alabama. Other standouts include Gingerbread Boy, Smile, and Vida Blue.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: See above.


No comments:

Post a Comment