Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Hives - Veni Vidi Vicious (2000)


Around the turn of the millennium, Sweden provided us with an update to The Kinks. Lots of energetic fuzzed guitars playing punk-infused garage rock with chord hooks you can't ignore. I almost hesitate to call them punk at all because the lyrics aren't angry enough - The Hives would rather party than tear down the establishment. It's along the lines of The Strokes, but I prefer these guys. It's a short album; 12 tracks in only 28 minutes. Normally, I'd complain about the length, but that's about all I can take in one sitting. I hear the band is great live, but I'm way too old for that mess. Metacritic rates this album at 84 out of 100 - sounds about right.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #63 (July 6, 2002)

Tracks: Not exactly versatile, the band produces very similar songs, but the standout track is Hate To Say I Told You So. The attempt at variety is Find Another Girl, which, of course, turns out to be the weakest song on the album.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  My buddy Jim gave me a copy of this one. I used to listen to it in my car, but stopped because I was afraid it might lead to road rage (singer Howlin' Pelle Almqvist yells a lot and gets me worked up).

No comments:

Post a Comment