Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Various Artists - Nobody's Diary: A Tribute to Yazoo (2002)


A bad tribute CD featuring acts from 9th Wave Records as way to expose the performers to a wider audience. I never heard of any of these acts before or since. There are two major problems with these covers: 1) no one comes even close to Alison Moyet's powerful pipes, and 2) these are straight-ahead covers with no originality or creativity. The result is a collection of great synthpop songs that sound, at best, like they are being covered by the local bar band playing a Casio keyboard purchased at a flea market. At worst, it sounds like drunk karaoke night on a booze cruise.

Strangely, this US record label uses the band's original UK name, Yazoo, instead of the truncated US version, Yaz. I appreciate the attempt to be hip, but that probably wasn't the best idea in terms of marketing. Then again, the band wasn't ever very popular here in the US, except with us technogeeks.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Pass.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I wouldn't have purchased this album even if it had been available in my area. I won my copy in an early Internet contest. This is the second time I've listened to it. As I put this back on the shelf, I'll pull out my copy of Upstairs At Eric's and give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment