Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Marcus Roberts - The Truth Is Spoken Here (1989)


A fantastic solo debut by Marcus Roberts, recorded when he was only 24 years old. I became familiar with Roberts when he took Kenny Kirkland's place in Wynton Marsalis' band for the 1986 album, J Mood. Roberts, who has been blind since birth, plays with an incredible tone and feel that belie his age. The fact that he is surrounded by great musicians (including Marsalis) certainly doesn't hurt. This music would be characterized as hard bop or neo-bop which was trying to make a comeback in the eighties. This CD is recommended, especially for late-night listening.

Press of the time:
  • High Fidelity: "a distinguished recording by almost any standard"
  • Stereo Review: "one of the best jazz albums I have heard in a very long time"
  • Billboard: "strong debut as a leader"
  • Rolling Stone Jazz & Blues Album Guide (1999): ★★★


As of this writing, Roberts is an Assistant Professor of Jazz Studies at Florida State University.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Of the 8 tracks here, 5 are originals, 1 was written by Thelonious Monk, and the remaining 2 are Duke Ellington pieces. Most are excellent, including the opener The Arrival, Blue Monk, In A Mellow Tone, and Nothin' But The Blues. My least favorite track is Country By Choice, but skipping it ruins the continuity of the album, so I play it. Roberts has become known as a talented interpreter of music by Monk and Ellington and it shows here, especially on the beautiful Single Petal Of A Rose.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: About 10 years ago, I was spending a quiet summer evening on a friend's back porch and he had this playing. I thought it sounded like a mid-'80s Wynton Marsalis album and, if that was the case, I couldn't believe I hadn't heard it. He told me it was a Roberts album and then it all made sense. I picked up my copy at Half Price Books in 2005. I can't believe this wonderful CD was in a used bin, but that worked out good for me, didn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment