Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sade - Love Deluxe (1992)


I know that Sade is the name of the band, but who are we fooling? If the band were concerned about cultivating a band image, they wouldn't name the group after the lead singer and put her naked picture on the cover.

For me, Sade is hit-or-miss. On some of her tracks, I love her smooth, urban, late-night romantic sounds. Most of the time, though, her stuff just doesn't do it for me. She certainly has a wonderful voice and knows where her bread is buttered - she's never varied her formula much over the years. Overall, I prefer Anita Baker.



Update: In its 2020 list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, Rolling Stone ranked Love Deluxe at #247.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #3 (Nov 21, 1992)
  • Billboard R&B: #2

Tracks: My favorite track on the disc, I Couldn't Love You More, would probably be considered a filler track by most Sade fans, but I think it is one of the most relaxing songs I have in my collection. Other top tracks include Like A Tattoo, Kiss Of Life, and Mermaid, which is an instrumental (Look, Ma! We really are a band!). I skip the rest, even the hit single, No Ordinary Love.

For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I didn't really care for Sade when she hit the scene in 1984, but listened to her quite a bit around the turn of the century. Maybe too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment