Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Various Artists - Cleveland Rocks! Music From The Drew Carey Show (1998)


A fun compilation. I always enjoyed this sitcom and thought it made use of music better than most, usually in the form of nutty dance scenes. That, of course, lends itself to pretty good soundtrack (plus, Rhino put it together). I bought it because I liked the version of Cleveland Rocks by The Presidents Of The United States Of America that became the show's theme song, but was pleasantly surprised by the selections here. In his self-deprecating style, this hilariously true quote appears on the back cover:



Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: While the sound clips from the show are easily skipped, there are some gems here. In addition to 2 versions of Cleveland Rocks (The POTUSA cover and the Ian Hunter original), we're treated to Five O'Clock World by The Vogues, What Is Hip? by Tower Of Power, The Time Warp from The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Shake Your Groove Thing by Peaches & Herb, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet by Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Free Ride by The Edgar Winter Group, Working In The Coal Mine by Lee Dorsey, and Lust For Life by Iggy Pop.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: At some point during the 1997-98 school year, I had an 8th grade student come up to me and tell me I looked like a young Drew Carey. I was speechless as I didn't know what she meant by that comment (still don't). For the record, I'm 8 years younger than Carey. Around the same time, I taught a student who I called Mimi because she acted just like the misanthropic, mean-spirited Mimi character from the show. For her sake, I hope she grew out of that.

I will add that Carey's version of Whose Line Is It Anyway? (1998-2004) was the funniest show on television at the time, particularly when Wayne Brady was on the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment