Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, April 9, 2012

The Roots - How I Got Over (2010)


I saw this in the used bin and picked it up since I'm a huge fan of this band's collaboration with John Legend: Wake Up! To be honest, rap and hip-hop aren't really my bag so I have no idea how this compares to other releases in the genre. Metacritic gives it a 86, so I'll defer to the collective judgement compiled there. This doesn't get much playing time as a whole even though I dig the neo-soul backing tracks. I'd rather hear some soul singing over those tracks rather than rapping, but I usually enjoy when a track from this CD comes up on my shuffle. As a band, The Roots don't take a back seat to anyone. I'll take ?uestlove over a drum machine or samples any day.

Tracks: My choice picks from this album are Dear God 2.0, Radio Daze, the title track, The Day. I'll usually skip Right On and the last 4 tracks. In other words, I prefer the first half to the second half.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Wake Up! (2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment