Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Liz Story - Part Of Fortune (1986)


Unlike most of her fans, I prefer Story's two albums for the RCA Novus label to her other work. In 1989, I fell in love with Liz Story's 1988 album, Speechless, but never went out and bought more of her music. That's way out of character for me. I don't remember buying this CD, but it is currently out of print, so I must have picked it up used. I have only a few New Age albums, but I have to confess that I enjoy listening to Story's piano improvisations. While I doubt I'll like any of her music as much as Speechless, this is pretty close.

Tracks: My favorites are Toy Soldiers, The Elephant Trainer, the title track, Reconciliation, and Ana. This release has a few tracks that include additional instrumentation (percussion, strings, etc.). On Toy Soldiers and Ana these additions enhance the music while the strings and vocals on Duende and Ubi Caritas make those two tracks seem out of place. In fact, there's no piano at all on Ubi Caritas which makes me wonder why it's even included on the CD.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Speechless (1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment