Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, April 23, 2012

After The Fire - Der Kommissar (1998)


UK Import

A budget-priced greatest hits package from the almost forgotten one hit wonder British band from the Sony Rewind series. I guess if the band are a one hit wonder, it's a stretch to call this a greatest hits package. In any case, its a compilation from 3 of their early '80s albums: Laser Love, 80-F, and Batteries Not Included. I don't know much about the band, but I knew of them before they had a minor hit in 1982 with a English language cover version of Falco's Der Kommissar (it peaked at #5). Fortunately, the band would not go on to cover Falco's 1985 hit, Rock Me Amadeus. This sounds like a lot of other early British New Wave music, with a strong musical resemblance to Bruce Woolley And The Camera Club.


Tracks:  In spite of the cheesy lyrics, my favorite ATF song is Laser Love. I also like the instrumentals Joy and 1980-F, plus Dancing In The Shadows, Rich Boys, Love Will Always Make You Cry, and their only British Top 40 hit, One Rule For You. When I say that I'm not a fan of the song Der Kommissar, I mean that it is almost painful to sit through it today. It always gets skipped along with the plodding Sailing Ship.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My buddy Jim had a copy of the 1982 ATF compilation LP (cover below) that he lent me and I dubbed a cassette. Laser Love was the first track and got a lot of playing time in the Markmobile on my drives to and from campus during my junior year of high school. If I'm being honest, I bought this CD for that one track.



No comments:

Post a Comment