Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tom Petty - Highway Companion (2006)


Contrary to the title, this is not music for driving on the highway. For me, anyway. One critic described the album as "reliable" which isn't exactly a compliment. I was hoping for Full Moon Fever again or, at least, a great highway single like Runnin' Down A Dream. I need something more upbeat for driving. You're better off buying Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers' 1993 greatest hits package. Awesome cover art by Robert Deyber, though. Curiously, a "special edition" of this CD with 4 additional tracks was released in 2007, less than a year after the initial release. Classy move, Warner Bros.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #4 (Aug 12, 2006)

Tracks: The opener, Saving Grace, is promising, but things gear down quickly. There are a couple of good songs scattered throughout: Down South and Jack. I also like Night Driver, not because it's a great road song, but because it sounds like a Zero 7 track. The rest? Reliable, just not very memorable.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I was on the road much more than usual in the fall of 2006, so I bought this CD literally as a highway companion. I think I listened to it once in the car before putting it away, unsatisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment