Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Various Artists - William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet: Music From The Motion Picture (1996)


I probably haven't listened to this CD since the mid '90s and I don't think I listened to it much then.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #2

Tracks: Most of this is forgettable mid-'90s alt-rock b-sides, but on this listen, I'm liking Gavin Friday's Angel, The Wannadies' You And Me Song, and Radiohead's Talk Show Host. The hit from this soundtrack was Lovefool by The Cardigans which is a great song, but easily becomes an earworm. Given my love for disco music, it should come as no surprise that I also like the remake of Young Hearts Run Free by Kym Mazelle (originally by Candi Staton). I was never a fan of Butthole Surfers and their contribution here does nothing to change my mind.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I remember travelling with my high school friends Roy and Scott from Galveston to Houston to see this movie. We played 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon for the duration of the trip. In our defense, that game was just becoming popular at the time. (For the record, if you count stage acting and TV shows, there are only three degrees of separation between Mr. Bacon and myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment