Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lyle Lovett - Live In Texas (1999)


GEOGRAPHY WEEK (JANUARY 8-14, 2012)

If this isn't my favorite live album, it's certainly in the top 3 (I'm not sure I can place it above Stop Making Sense). Lovett is a great songwriter and his band is top-notch. Even though I don't listen much to lyrics, I always enjoy Lovett's sense of humor (ex.: "And the preacher said,/ 'I pronounce you 99-to-life./ Son, she's no lady, she's your wife.'"). The sequencing leaves the album a little slow in the second quarter, but it picks up later and finishes strong. Overall, a fantastic introduction to Lovett's best genre-bending songs in a relaxed setting by outstanding musicians.

Recorded August 29, 1995 at The Backyard in Austin and September 1, 1995 at The Majestic Theatre in San Antonio.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #94

Tracks: It's a solid album throughout, but my favorite tracks are Penguins, That's Right (You're Not From Texas), She's No Lady, M-O-N-E-Y, You Can't Resist It (with a bass line straight from Tears Of A Clown), Church, and Wild Women Don't Get the Blues, which features an unforgettable performance by vocalist Francine Reed.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My copy of this CD came from my friend Jim. In June 2002, he and I saw Lovett in concert at the Concrete Street Amphitheater in Corpus Christi. That performance included most, if not all, of the songs on this CD and the personnel was the same. Lovett is a true entertainer. Even though he had to sit throughout the concert because of a broken leg, he was the most gracious performer I've ever seen. When he says "Thank you" at the end of a song, you get the feeling that he is truly sincere.

No comments:

Post a Comment