Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Dave Samuels - Natural Selection (1991)


Samuels is a percussionist, specializing in playing the marimba and vibraphone. He's played with Spyro Gyra and The Caribbean Jazz Project, plus his backing band for this recording is the Yellowjackets. So if you like those groups, you'll find this CD enjoyable.

Tracks: It's all easy listening smooth Latin-flavored jazz. I think the better tracks are Spring High and A White Rose. I enjoy Bruce Hornsby's contributions on Between The Lines; it sounds like he's having fun. I don't particularly care for Mossoro's Motion, Knots, or the title track.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, although I think I saw Samuels live with Spyro Gyra around '84.

No comments:

Post a Comment