Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Essential Fishbone (2003)


In honor of The Roots playing Lyin' Ass Bitch for Michelle Bachmann as she came on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon a few weeks ago.

Fishbone's music has been described as ska, alternative, rock, funk, and soul, but really they're just a party band. This greatest hits compilation is a solid introduction to the six piece band, covering recordings from 1984-93. It usually just stays in my truck in case I need some party music as I drive to/from campus.

A recent documentary about the band, Everyday Sunshine, is getting good reviews.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: My favorite tracks are Cholly, A Movement In The Light, Bonin' In The Boneyard, Everyday Sunshine, Change, Lemon Meringue, the aforementioned Lyin' Ass Bitch, Sunless Saturday, and a nice cover of Curtis Mayfield's 1972 song, Freddie's Dead. If I skip any songs, I might skip It's A Wonderful Life or Fight The Youth.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My buddy Blake is a true Fishbone soldier, but I was unfamiliar with the band until I met Blake in 2004. Based on his recommendation, I bought this CD without ever hearing the band. That decision turned out to be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment