Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Michael Bublé - Christmas (2011)


Just picked this up - let's check it out. First, a little background: I've been aware of Bublé, but this is the first of his CD's I've purchased and I'm guessing I'll enjoy it more than I would Justin Beiber's new Christmas CD. On first listen, it would seem The King of Retro Easy Listening has delivered exactly what you would expect. But since half the fun of Christmas is remembering past holiday seasons, old school might be just what's needed. While this CD, like most Christmas albums, is hit-or-miss, I'm impressed by Bublé's vocal chops. Not all of the tracks will get ripped to iTunes, but it looks like about half will.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #1

Tracks (Remember these are first impressions): The better songs are the versions of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, I'll Be Home For Christmas. I'm unfamiliar with the Puppini Sisters, but I'm digging their Andrew Sisters-type harmonies on Jingle Bells. Bublé's melancholy piano version of All I Want For Christmas Is You rivals Mariah Carey's original. The original tune offered here, Cold December Night, sounds like the recent Bublé pop stuff I've heard on the radio. It's enjoyable, but only time will tell if it will become a Christmas standard. I'm guessing it won't, but I've been wrong before. Tracks not as successful are the versions of White Christmas, Santa Baby, and Feliz Navidad, a duet with Latin star Thalía. I was liking the arrangement of Silent Night until the children's choir came in.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment