Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Foreigner - Complete Greatest Hits (2002)


Foreigner has released no fewer than 7 greatest hits packages. Why? Simply look at the cover art: $£€$. Very subtle. I'm a casual Foreigner fan (the only release I ever owned was 1981's 4 on cassette), so this compilation will do just fine. I hear the band is still around, but without lead singer Lou Gramm. I have a theory that any band without its lead singer becomes a cover/tribute band - I'm looking at you Journey, Styx, Chicago, Yes, Queen, etc. Shame on you.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #80

Tracks: I grew up on the early hits like Feels Like The First Time, Cold As Ice, Hot Blooded, Double Vision, and Head Games. It's fun to hear those again. For some reason, the classic rock station in my area never seems to play Foreigner (maybe the program director's ex-girlfriend was a big Foreigner fan), so this is the only way for me to hear them. When the band changed directions in the '80s towards power ballads, they lost me. I can just tolerate Waiting For A Girl Like You while I Want To Know What Love Is and I Don't Want To Live Without You are simply unbearable. I know it's a Lou Gramm solo hit, but I would have liked the inclusion of Midnight Blue here. There's 20 tracks here, I've only ripped 10 to iTunes, but 10 good songs on a CD isn't bad.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: The tracks from the '70s remind me of good times in West Texas when you didn't pick the music you listened to, the AM radio station made that decision for you. The song Hot Blooded, for some reason, reminds me of family trips to the local Baskin-Robbins. The mind works in strange ways, I guess.

The songs from 4 remind me that I had a friend in high school who claimed he knew someone who worked at The Summit and could get us tickets to shows. I told him to set us up with some tics to the Foreigner show in '82. It didn't happen, of course, because I doubt he really knew anybody that worked at the Summit. Interestingly, though, one girl who was normally too good to speak to me suddenly was my best friend when she thought I was getting those tickets. Not surprisingly, when the tics didn't materialize, she never spoke to me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment