Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Various Artists - Reggatta Mondatta, Volume II (1998)


Subtitled "A Reggae Tribute to The Police featuring The Greatest Reggae Artists In The World" this is a CD of Police covers. Overall, this album is not as good as the first volume but most tracks would fit perfectly in a pool side reggae playlist on your iPod. The first volume had 12 tracks and this hastily thrown together sequel only has 10?!? What gives?

Tracks:
  • Don't Stand So Close To Me - Louchie Lou & Michie One
    A decent R&B cover, but this doesn't sound much like reggae to me.
  • So Lonely - Aswad
    Laid back, but I prefer the manic style of the original's chorus. This fluff reminds me of Big Mountain's cover of Peter Frampton's Baby, I Love Your Way.
  • King Of Pain - Inner Circle
    I never cared much for the original and prefer this cover. Still depressing, though.
  • Man In A Suitcase - Big Mountain
    Ugh. Sounds like something a cruise ship band would play on reggae night.
  • When The World Is Running Down - The British Link featuring Philip Leo, Tenor Fly, & Sweetie Irie
    A great dub cover, much better than the original, but not quite as good as Sting's version on his 1986 live album, Bring On The Night.
  • Demolition Man - Rayvon featuring Shaggy
    I'm a Shaggy fan, but this song just doesn't really lend itself to a reggae cover.
  • Rehumanize Yourself - Freddie McGregor
    One of the better tracks here. I'm surprised I like it because I've always thought side 2 of Ghost In The Machine is almost perfect as is and, therefore, untouchable.
  • Bring On The Night - Bim Sherman
    Now I'm getting bored. The original isn't a good song to start with and this cover is even more lackluster.
  • De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da - Third World
    One of the more unlikely Police hits (reaching #10 in 1980), this cover is pretty much what you'd expect. Good, but not memorable.
  • Canary In A Coalmine - Toots & The Maytals
    Not only the best track on this disc, but the best cover from both discs. Toots is a living reggae legend and he brings it; old school reggae done right. So much better than the original.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, I just bought it because I liked the first volume.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Volume I (1997)

No comments:

Post a Comment