Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Jose Lima Y Raffy Ozuna - El Mambo De Lima (1999)


Jose Lima was a pitcher for the Houston Astros from 1997-2001 and had his greatest success as a pitcher during the 1999 season where he was named an All-Star and compiled a 21-10 record. He was a showman and very popular with the Houston fans. It was said that if you didn't have a Lima autograph, it was only because you hadn't asked for one. Riding high on his baseball success, he released this CD. I bought it as a novelty and don't think I've listened to it but once before now. Sadly, Lima died of a heart attack in 2010. He was 37. Here's a good Sports Illustrated article from June 14, 1999, around the time this CD was released: The Mambo King.

Tracks: I don't really know enough about this kind of music to make any type of informed comments. I also can't read the liner notes because they're in Spanish. I'm told the genre is known as bachata. I guess the best I can give you is that the backing band is very talented, because those Latin rhythms aren't easy to play once, let alone consistently.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment