Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Alone & Acoustic (1991)


One of my favorite blues albums. While I enjoy electric blues, as I've aged I find myself gravitating more to acoustic blues. As the title states, this is a great album of acoustic blues performed by two blues legends. Originally recorded one day in Paris during a break in a European tour, these two play off each other wonderfully, just like you would expect from two old friends. The two share vocal duties over Guy's acoustic guitar while Wells throws in his harmonic licks at all the right spots. No band, no production tricks, and, most likely, few retakes, if any. Guy gets top-billing and that seems right since his effortless guitar playing steals the show throughout. Recorded and released in France in 1981, it wasn't issued in the US until 1991. But the music is timeless. Required listening for any blues fan.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: It's all good and must be listened to in its entirety from start to finish. For me, the standout tracks are Big Boat, Sweet Black Girl, Diggin' My Potatoes, High Heel Sneakers, and Catfish Blues.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Browsing through some racks at a CD store one day, I came across an Alligator Records compilation titled Crucial Acoustic Blues. The lead track to that compilation was taken from this CD. This CD was ordered almost immediately.

When I long for an easier, less stressful lifestyle (which is often), I almost always picture myself on the front porch of a shotgun shack in the country, eating chicken wings or ribs, drinking beer, smoking cigars, and listening to acoustic blues. You're welcome to join me if you bring a six pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment