Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Various Artists - I Get A Kick Out Of You: The Cole Porter Songbook, Volume II (1991)


Classy versions of Cole Porter songs recorded by jazz's greatest vocalists; a Porter compilation done right by Verve Records. Most of the recordings date from the '50s, but there's a few from later decades as well. If all Porter had ever done was write memorable melodies, that would have been enough. But he was also a master lyricist as well, showing his wry sense of humor time and time again. I was unfamiliar with a few of the songs on this disc, which made for some fun discoveries. This would be a great cocktail party CD because every tune subtly swings and if your guests didn't like the music, you probably didn't want them at your party anyway. I'm tellin' you hep cats: this music really swings!

Tracks: Highlights here include Louis Armstrong singing You're The Top and I Get A Kick Out Of You with Oscar Peterson on piano, Dinah Washington singing So In Love, and Too Darn Hot by the Velvet Fog. I also like Shirley Horn's take on Get Out Of Town, and Ella Fitzgerald's rendition of Miss Otis Regrets (She's Unable To Lunch Today) - dare I call this the definitive version of that classic? A fantastic band saves the classic Night And Day from Fred Astaire's vocals. Still, none of the 17 tracks should be skipped.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Even though I was a long-time Porter fan, I really went through a phase in the late '90s. CDs, movies, musicals, biographies, the whole nine yards. This was purchased during that phase. I can't believe I don't have the first volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment