Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Original Soundtrack of the Paramount Motion Picture Footloose (1984)


There's not much I need to say about this CD because you know at least 6 of the 9 songs here. The first 6 tracks on the album were all Top 40 hits. This is the album that knocked Michael Jackson's Thriller out of the #1 spot on the Billboard album chart in April 1984 and stayed in the top spot for two months. This particular CD is the "15th Anniversary Collectors' Edition" which means I get 4 bonus tracks and digital remastering.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #1 (10 weeks, Apr 21 - June 23, 1984)
Peak on Billboard's R&B albums chart: #16    

Tracks:
  • Footloose - Kenny Loggins: Just one in a line of Loggins soundtrack hits of the '80s. I still love it and dance to it. Admit it, you do, too. (#1 single, 3 weeks, March 31- April 14, 1984)
  • Let's Hear It for The Boy - Deniece Williams: Catchy number. I can see Kevin Bacon and the late Chris Penn dancing down the halls of the high school. (#1 single, 2 weeks, May 26 - June 2, 1984)
  • Almost Paradise (Love Theme from Footloose) - Mike Reno & Ann Wilson: Ah, the '80s power ballad. Now extinct. Fortunately. (#7 single)
  • Holding Out For A Hero - Bonnie Tyler: I can't stand Jim Steinman songs. I need a hero? I need a decent songwriter. (#34 single)
  • Dancing in the Sheets - Shalamar: Can you name another tune by Shalamar? Me neither. Maybe that's why Jody Watley left to pursue a solo career. Still, this is a catchy tune that's terribly dated with its synths and drum machine. (#17 single)
  • I'm Free (Heaven Helps The Man) - Kenny Loggins: More catchy pop rock from the "King of '80s Soundtracks." (#22 single)
  • Somebody's Eyes - Karla Bonoff: I don't remember this song in the movie. Rightfully so. This track is bland, it is very skip-worthy.
  • The Girl Gets Around - Sammy Hagar: I'm a big fan of pre-Van Halen Hagar. This is a great tune that should have been the 7th Top 40 release from this soundtrack.
  • Never - Moving Pictures: This band was apparently a big hit in its native Australia. People may wonder why they never made it big here in the US. To those people, I submit this song as 'Exhibit A.' As if the tepid writing weren't painful enough, they throw in a squawky sax solo. (I'm guessing it's a sax solo. I can't really tell what instrument it is.)
Bonus Tracks:
  • Bang Your Head (Metal Health) - Quiet Riot: In the movie, Ren had this playing in his car. I'm guessing it was considered too heavy for the original soundtrack release. Not bad, but not really my thing. (#31 single)
  • Hurts So Good - John Mellencamp: the 1982 hit for then John Cougar. (#2 single)
  • Waiting For A Girl Like You - Foreigner: Even though Thomas Dolby played keyboards on this song, I never liked it. Needless to say, this song hasn't been ripped to my iTunes. (#2 single)
  • Dancing in the Sheets (Extended 12" Remix) - Shalamar: Just in case the 4:03 version wasn't long enough, now you get a 6:16 version.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I remember seeing this movie with Eleanor, Scott, and, I think, Jim P. after church one Sunday. Of course, the songs helped provide the soundtrack to the spring of my senior year of high school. I even remember dancing to the title song at my senior prom. The prom theme was "City Lights." Seriously.

Of course, when I watch this movie now, I still relate to the high school kids. Never mind the fact that I'm 5 years older now than John Lithgow was when he filmed the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment