Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Original Soundtrack of the Paramount Motion Picture Footloose (1984)


There's not much I need to say about this CD because you know at least 6 of the 9 songs here. The first 6 tracks on the album were all Top 40 hits. This is the album that knocked Michael Jackson's Thriller out of the #1 spot on the Billboard album chart in April 1984 and stayed in the top spot for two months. This particular CD is the "15th Anniversary Collectors' Edition" which means I get 4 bonus tracks and digital remastering.


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #1
  • Billboard Rock: #2
  • Billboard R&B: #16
  • CashBox: #1
  • CashBox CD: #8
  • Rolling Stone: #1

Tracks:
  • Footloose - Kenny Loggins (#1 single, 3 weeks, March 31- April 14, 1984)
    Just one in a line of Loggins soundtrack hits of the '80s. I still love it and dance to it. Admit it, you do, too.
  • Let's Hear It for The Boy - Deniece Williams (#1 single, 2 weeks, May 26 - June 2, 1984)
    Catchy number. I can see Kevin Bacon and the late Chris Penn dancing down the halls of the high school.
  • Almost Paradise (Love Theme from Footloose) - Mike Reno & Ann Wilson (#7 single)
    Ah, the '80s power ballad. Now extinct. Fortunately.
  • Holding Out For A Hero - Bonnie Tyler (#34 single)
    I can't stand Jim Steinman songs. I need a hero? More like I need a decent songwriter.
  • Dancing in the Sheets - Shalamar (#17 single)
    Tthis is a catchy tune that's terribly dated with its synths and drum machine.
  • I'm Free (Heaven Helps The Man) - Kenny Loggins (#22 single)
    More catchy pop rock from the "King of '80s Soundtracks."
  • Somebody's Eyes - Karla Bonoff
    I don't remember this song in the movie. Rightfully so. This track is bland, it is very skip-worthy.
  • The Girl Gets Around - Sammy Hagar
    I'm a big fan of pre-Van Halen Hagar. This is a great tune that should have been the 7th Top 40 release from this soundtrack.
  • Never - Moving Pictures
    This band was apparently a big hit in its native Australia. People may wonder why they never made it big here in the US. To those people, I submit this song as 'Exhibit A.' As if the tepid writing weren't painful enough, they throw in a squawky sax solo. (I'm guessing it's a sax solo. I can't really tell what instrument it is.)
Bonus Tracks:
  • Bang Your Head (Metal Health) - Quiet Riot (#31 single)
    In the movie, Ren had this playing in his car. I'm guessing it was considered too heavy for the original soundtrack release. Not bad, but not really my thing.
  • Hurts So Good - John Mellencamp (#2 single)
    The 1982 hit for then John Cougar.
  • Waiting For A Girl Like You - Foreigner (#2 single)
    Even though Thomas Dolby played keyboards on this song, I never liked it. Needless to say, this song hasn't been ripped to my iTunes.
  • Dancing in the Sheets (Extended 12" Remix) - Shalamar
    Just in case the 4:03 version wasn't long enough, now you get a 6:16 version.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I remember seeing this movie with Eleanor, Scott, and, Jim P. after church one Sunday. Of course, the songs helped provide the soundtrack to the spring of my senior year of high school. I even remember dancing to the title song at my senior prom. The prom theme was "City Lights." Seriously.

Of course, when I watch this movie now, I still relate to the high school kids. Never mind the fact that I'm many years older now than John Lithgow was when he filmed the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment