Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Jason Mraz - Waiting For My Rocket To Come (2002)


If you know that I listen to DMB and John Mayer, then it shouldn't come as a surprise that I have a CD by Jason Mraz. Mraz leans a little more to reggae/folk rhythms than the others and is a much better singer and a more consistent pop songwriter. His lyrics, unfortunately, are sometimes needlessly crass as if he is trying to shock his audience. Still, I'm a sucker for a good pop song and there are plenty of hook-laden melodies on this release. Probably one of the best pop recordings of the '00s. I've heard that Mraz is even better live, but I haven't heard any of his live albums.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #55 (Aug 30, 2003)

Tracks: The first seven tracks are all good: You And I Both, I'll Do Anything, The Remedy (I Won't Worry), Who Needs Shelter, Curbside Prophet, Sleep All Day, and Too Much Food. After 2 average tracks, the CD ends with 3 more good ones. I like No Stopping Us because it sounds like a Chicago song. 10 good cuts out of 12. Not bad at all.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I bought this cheap at Wal-Mart in BC while I was in grad school at UH. After a few listenings, I lent it to a classmate who let his wife listen to it. She took it to her office and I didn't see it again for a while. I think she liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment