Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Various Artists - This Bird Has Flown: A 40th Anniversary Tribute to The Beatles' Rubber Soul (2005)


An indie tribute (read:covers) album released on October 25, 2005 on the Razor & Tie label. It follows the track listing of the original UK version of Rubber Soul. This is a brave undertaking because of the material; it's fantastic and everybody knows the originals by heart.


Tracks: As you would expect with this sort of album, there are winners and losers. Winners are Think For Yourself by Yonder Mountain String Band, The Word by Mindy Smith, Ben Harper's reggae version of Michelle, and I'm Looking Through You by Ted Leo. Losers include The Fiery Furnaces' cover of Norwegian Wood, Sufjan Stevens' What Goes On, Ben Lee's In My Life, Nellie McKay's If I Needed Someone, and The Cowboy Junkies' Run For Your Life. Note-for-note covers (which seem pointless on this sort of release) include The Donnas' Drive My Car, Dar Williams' You Won't See Me, and Rhett Miller's Girl.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I bought this not long after it was released. My buddy Blake is not a Beatles fan, but loved that I bought this disc because it had covers by some of his favorite acts, including Ted Leo and Ben Kweller.

No comments:

Post a Comment