Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Mozart Overtures (1982)

 

Neville Marriner conducting the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields

Opera is one of those genres that, as a musician, I feel I should enjoy, but I can't stand the things. However, I love Mozart's music, so maybe I bought this CD so I could feel like I had at least attempted to appreciate opera. This CD of overtures is the closest thing I have to opera in my collection. The performances on this release are top notch as Sir Marriner is one of the top interpreters of Mozart's music.

Tracks: Of the 9 overtures here, my favorites would be Le Nozze Di Figaro, Die Zauberflöte, Cosi Fan Tutte, Der Schauspieldirektor, and Don Giovanni. The overture to Lucio Silla is not Mozart's best work.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I'm sure I bought this primarily for the overture to The Marriage of Figaro because I had performed that opera when at college in 1987. Even though I'm not an opera fan and Mozart's trumpet parts aren't anything great, I enjoyed the experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment