Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Arturo Sandoval - For Love or Country (2000)


This is the soundtrack for the HBO movie For Love or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story. I believe all this music was recorded by Sandoval specifically for use in the movie. Sandoval has almost flawless technique. Can a trumpet player hear ridiculously high notes without laughing? I think not. Sandoval idolizes Dizzy Gillespie (not a bad role model), but often ends up being a bad imitation of Gillespie instead of finding his own voice. Overall, a fairly good Afro-Cuban album; not your usual soundtrack fare.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: The opener, Manteca, is a high energy cut that will wear you out. Contemporary songs like Iya aren't very good at first listen, but grow on you after repeated listenings. Still, standards like A Night in Tunisia, Take the A Train, Quimbombo, and Guantanamera are stronger than the Sandoval originals.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I remember playing this on the stereo in the band hall back when I was band directing. One student in particular loved this album. I offered to burn him a copy, but he never took me up on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment