Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Robert Randolph and The Family Band - Live at The Wetlands (2002)


There are times when I wish I was Robert Randolph because he has musical talents I will never see. (I can also see myself playing in his band - Hammond B3 FTW!!!!) You know a group is a fantastic live band when their first release is a live album. That takes moxie. I cannot imagine the energy it must take to get through a concert like the one on this disc as a listener, much less a performer. To borrow a phrase from Ken Kessler, this disc is more than an hour of "thigh-slapping, blood-pumping, nuclear brain damage!" High energy throughout. This easily earns a spot in my list of top ten live albums. How do you define this style? It is an amalgamation of rock, gospel, blues, country - it is truly American music.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: There are seven tracks, only one of which clocks in at under 10 minutes. IMHO (which isn't very humble), the best track on this disc is I Don't Know What You Come to Do. I've made the mistake of listening to this in my office and having to close the door for privacy because I can't sit still. Put this together with Shake Your Hips and Tears of Joy and you've got more than 35 minutes of an epic way to end a CD.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I discovered Robert Randolph through a Grammys performance in either 2004 or 2005 (probably the latter). I'm thankful his name was printed on the front of his guitar so I could immediately order his CD.

1 comment:

  1. Ditto.

    He continues to surprise and then disappoint me.


    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete