Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Miles Davis - Milestones (1958)


Enough analysis of Miles has been done to the point where I don't think that anything I write about this CD will be adequate. This release documents the transition from blues based-bop to the modal way of writing that would reach its peak with Kind of Blue. Amazing. (Is it sacrilegious to say that I enjoy Coltrane's playing on this disc more than that of Miles?)

Tracks: Difficult to choose, of course, but my current favorites (subject to change) are Sid's Ahead, Two Bass Hit, and Straight No Chaser.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I'm not fond of my college trumpet professor for many reasons, one of them being that I was not encouraged/forced to listen to Miles Davis when I was studying trumpet. I'd ask for a tuition refund, but then the university would probably revoke my degree. Also, when choosing names for my sons, I offered up the name Miles as a possibility, but that suggestion was quickly vetoed by my wife. Ah, well...at least I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment