Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gloria Estefan - Gloria! (1998)


I have no idea why I have this CD. Admittedly, I went through a dance music phase in the late '90s, so this was probably picked up at that time. It's the only Gloria Estefan CD I currently own.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #23 (June 20, 1998)

Tracks: Heaven's What I Feel isn't a bad disco song; it could easily have been on a Donna Summer album 20 years earlier. Don't Release Me and Cuba Libre are nice dance tracks. Cuba Libre has just the right amount of Latin/Caribbean influence - makes me want to hit South Beach (even though I'm way too old for South Beach). This is obviously meant to be a dance CD - there are 11 tracks plus 5 remixes. Also, most of the tracks meld seamlessly from one to the next, as if you were in a club with a decent DJ. Although I'm sure I loved it at some point in my life, the constant dance beat now wears me down after 6 or 7 songs.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I remember putting this CD in a boom box and taking it with me and my sons when we went down the street to go swimming in my neighbor's pool. That was probably 1999, so the boys would have been 1 and 5 years old that summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment