Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Jill Scott - Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2 (2004)


This is what this project is all about - forcing myself to listen to music on the chance that I might be presently surprised. I bought this CD from a used bin based on the strength of the song Golden. I listened to that song several times and never got through the rest of this disc. That was a mistake. This disc is smooth and mellow neo-soul bordering on smooth jazz. What a voice! I made the mistake of listening to this in the morning; I'm sure its even better in the evening. Maybe the mistake I made was trying to listen to this CD in my truck. It's not made for that. I will now check out some of her other work.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #3
Peak on the Billboard R&B albums chart: #1

Tracks: Favs include Golden and Can't Explain, but I enjoyed all the tracks save for the opening track which is neither words nor music, just noise. Talk to Me tries to hearken back to big band days and scat singers and, although it is good, it doesn't fit with the rest of the songs. Track 6, Cross My Mind, won the Grammy Award for Best Urban/Alternative Performance.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None (yet)

No comments:

Post a Comment