Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Jeff Lorber - Midnight (1998)


I normally like projects that involve multi-instrumentalist Lorber (and he's been involved in a lot of projects other than his own stuff). His smooth jazz/funk-lite fusion keyboard and production styles are immediately identifiable. This is a strong effort; I'm digging the timeless sound of Hammond Organ, Fender Rhodes electric piano, and is that a Moog synth I hear? I appreciate that Lorber fought the urge to put saxophone on this album because I think his melodies just sound better on keyboard. For that reason, I wish he would have reconsidered the vocal tracks as they just throw off the continuity of this mostly instrumental release. If I could stay awake until midnight, this laid back CD would be a great album to listen to at that time.

People often write about Lorber's mid-80's work, but I prefer the stuff like this that came before and after those attempts at pop/R&B chart success. You may remember his Top 40 hit Facts Of Love which peaked at #27 in 1986. That sounds like a Janet Jackson-Jimmy Jam-Terry Lewis song and, fortunately, doesn't resemble anything on this album.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  To me, the standout cut is the cover of The Beatles' Dear Prudence. I'm also liking the first three tracks as well as The Wild East. As suggested earlier, I usually skip the vocal tracks for continuity's sake.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Very Best of (2002)

No comments:

Post a Comment