Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Best of Blondie (2005)


A 10 track budget-priced compilation covering the years 1977-1982. I'm not a huge Blondie fan, so a greatest hits package is good enough for me. Absolutely no liner notes; not even writing credits. I think the group's ability to move effortlessly between genres (rock, hip-hop, disco, pop, reggae, calypso) may have actually hurt the band. If there was ever a band that was poised to be the most popular American New Wave group, it was this one.

I just finished reading the book Love Goes To Buildings On Fire by Will Hermes which covers the NYC music scene during the years 1973-1977. Of course, the legendary club CBGB plays a large role in the book. I don't listen to many of the bands that made a name at that club (New York Dolls, Television, Patti Smith, etc.), but I am a fan of Talking Heads and a casual fan of Blondie. So I pulled this CD off the shelf to revisit the group's music.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart. The original Best of Blondie compilation released in 1981 peaked at #30.

Tracks:
SongYearHot 100
Call Me19801
One Way Or Another197924
Hanging On The Telephone1978
Dreaming197927
Heart Of Glass19791
Rapture19811
The Tide Is High19801
Island Of Lost Souls198237
Denis1978
Atomic198039

All the group's big hits are here: Call Me, One Way Or Another, Heart Of Glass, Rapture, and The Tide Is High. Rapture is often credited with being the first rap/hip-hop song to reach #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, but I think its more genre-bending than that with its horn section and distorted guitar solo.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  Before I had even heard of MTV, I remember seeing the promotional video for Heart Of Glass at my grandmother's house. I thought about buying the band's Parallel Lines album, but couldn't pull the trigger for some reason (no money, I'm guessing). As a 12 year old boy, seeing Debbie Harry in a sheer dress dancing around Studio 54 made me feel funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment