Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Various Artists - Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 6 (1994)


This is the 6th volume of a fantastic 15 volume set released in the mid-'90s by Rhino Records. Songs on this volume are from the years 1980-1983. Starting with volume 6, the series starts to feature songs that were in heavy rotation in the heyday of MTV, ca. 1982-83. There's a lot of crossover between this CD and the two Valley Girl soundtrack compilations because they are all released by Rhino. Normally this would upset me, but I'm such a fan of Rhino's compilations and re-releases, that I'll give them a break.

Tracks:
  • Who Can It Be Now - Men At Work (#1 pop, #46 rock, #33 dance)
    Previously reviewed here. Here's what I said then: "A definitive New Wave single. That awesome sax lick is immediately recognizable, but I also love the lyrics about someone who just wants to be left alone."
  • Twilight Zone - Golden Earring (#10 pop, #1 rock)
    A bad song that was semi-popular (peaked at #10 in March '83) solely because of its video's airplay.
  • Talk Talk - Talk Talk (#75 pop, #26 rock, #63 dance)
    A great synthpop New Wave single by a band that should have been more popular here in the US. Produced by Colin Thurston who was also working with Duran Duran at that time.
  • Johnny Are You Queer? - Josie Cotton (#38 dance)
    Previously reviewed here. Here's what I said then: "A fun song heard during the climatic prom scene in the movie. The lyrics were probably more controversial than they should have been because the joke is on the singer, not Johnny: typical teenager 'he's not interested in her that way, so clearly he must not like girls' kind of logic."
  • White Girl - X
    Not as frantic as their usual punk songs, this song's chord progression reminds me a lot of Ants Invasion by Adam And The Ants (but with a better chorus and better lyrics).
  • People Who Died - The Jim Carroll Band (#103 pop, #50 rock, #51 dance)
    Literally a semi-sung list of people who died played over a blues chord progression played in a manic punk style. That description sounds worse than it really is.
  • Face To Face - Code Blue
    Sounds like a filler track from an album by The Knack. Guitar player from The Motels, bass player would later work with Adam Ant.
  • Wot - Captain Sensible (#24 dance)
    A shameless knock-off of Rapper's Delight, right down to the Chic-like bassline. Exhibit A in the trial of Rap Music v. White People.
  • Numbers With Wings - The Bongos
    I bought a cassette of this EP based solely on the cool band name and cover. Disappointment followed. Still like the EP cover, though:

  • The Look Of Love (Part One) - ABC (#18 pop, #32 rock, #1 dance)
    Fantastic New Romantic song produced by Trevor Horn. From the classic album, The Lexicon Of Love.
  • Do You Really Want To Hurt Me - Culture Club (#2 pop, #21 rock, #34 dance)
    Previously reviewed here. Here's what I said then: "I want to dislike Culture Club because Boy George is a mess, but I can't help but like this smooth pseudo-reggae hit."
  • Never Say Never - Romeo Void (#27 rock, #17 dance)
    Previously reviewed here. Here's what I said then: "Contains the classic lyric 'I might like you better if we slept together.' It also contains some horrid saxophone playing." Still, this is a catchy little number. I liked it back in '82 and I still like it 30 years later.
  • The Unguarded Moment - The Church
    To me, this now sounds like '90s indie-pop. Maybe they were just ahead of their time. Nothing outstanding, but its got a catchy chorus.
  • Second Choice - Any Trouble (#103 pop)
    A hook-filled pub song in the vein of Marshall Crenshaw. Good stuff.
  • A Woman's Got The Power - The A's (#106 pop, #18 rock)
    A weird mix of Elvis Costello and Bruce Springsteen. It doesn't work for me.
  • I Predict - Sparks (#60 pop)
    Sounds like John Jett's I Hate Myself For Loving You. This band could always write catchy songs, they just didn't have a good vocalist.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I'll be honest- the first time we saw the video for Do You Really Want To Hurt Me, my friend (who shall remain nameless) and I both thought Boy George was female and spent some time debating whether or not "she" was attractive. To our credit, I remember we decided she wasn't. Being a very naïve teenager, I had little, if any, experience with androgyny. Of course, a few days later we discovered Boy George's gender and name. A very uncomfortable silence ensued.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Volume 1Volume 2
Volume 3Volume 4
Volume 5Volume 7
Volume 8Volume 9
Volume 12Volume 14
New Wave Xmas
New Wave Dance Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment