Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (1982)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD. In addition to a regular CD, I also own this music on 5.1 DVD Audio disc, a format that never really caught on.

A desert island CD, for sure. The music is more jazz-pop than Steely Dan, but the lyrics are autobiographical; memories of growing up during the Kennedy era. In the words of Fagen:
The songs on this album represent certain fantasies that might have been entertained by a young man growing up in the remote subrubs of a northeastern city during the late fifties and early sixties, i.e., one of my general height, weight and build.
I was an adolescent when this album was released, so maybe the lyrics spoke to me. Aww, who am I kidding, I'm not a lyrics guy. For me, this album was all about the music: catchy melodies, thick chords, tight harmonies, slick production, and great playing from top-notch musicians: Larry Carlton, Michael Brecker, Marcus Miller, etc. Nominated for Album Of The Year in 1983, it lost to Toto IV. It's a great album. So good, if fact, that even hard-to-please critic Robert Christgau gives it an A. Even the Pope likes it - in February 2010, Vatican City's L'Osservatore Romano appointed The Nightfly to its official Top 10 Albums list.

The DVD Audio edition contains a 5.1 audio mix, the video for New Frontier, and excellent new liner notes where Fagen breaks down each song individually. No bonus tracks. I purchased the DVD in 2004, a year before the launch of YouTube, so having the video was a nice bonus at the time.

Press of the time:



Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #11
  • Billboard Rock: #25
  • Billboard R&B: #24
  • CashBox: #11
  • CashBox CD: #12
  • Rolling Stone: #2

Tracks: I like this album. A lot. All 8 tracks are wonderful. Fagen even covers a Lieber/Stoller tune, Ruby Baby, and makes it completely his own. My usual favorites are New Frontier and Walk Between Raindrops, but that's subject to change each time I listen.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: The album cover caught my eye before I'd heard the music and, back in the early '80s, sometimes an interesting album cover was the only excuse I needed to purchase an LP. At the time, I was unaware of Fagen's involvement with Steely Dan. One night at my friend Jim's place, I caught the innovative video for New Frontier (below). I had the album within a week. People unfortunate enough to ride in the Markmobile with me were endlessly subjected to it. Even 30+ years later, the album is still in heavy rotation.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that magazine ad; I'd been looking for that (and couldn't find it anywhere else online).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magazine ad is taken from Rolling Stone magazine, issue 382 (Nov 11 1982) p. 51. Hope that info helps in your hunt.

      Delete