Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Various Artists - AM Gold Pop Classics (1998)


This is a disc from the Time/Life AM Gold CD series. As seen on TV.

Tracks:
  • Magic - Pilot (#5, 1975)
    A complete Beatles knockoff, I loved this song when it topped the US charts in the summer of 1975. It always reminds me of swimming at the country club with my friend Troy.
  • Rock Me Gently - Andy Kim (#1, 1974)
    I don't remember this song from the '70s. The first time I remember hearing it was in a 2007 Jeep TV ad. It's OK, but nothing great.
  • Delta Dawn - Helen Reddy (#1, 1973)
    No, thanks. I have bad memories of learning this song by rote in an elementary music classroom.
  • Knock Three Times - Dawn (#1, 1970)
    Harmless. The writers obviously wanted a Drifters/Brill Building-type song.
  • Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell (#1, 1975)
    A huge crossover hit. With an easy, catchy melody, the 9-year-old version of myself would belt this song out every time it came on the radio. I recently read a great article/tribute to Campbell, read it here.
  • Baby Come Back - Player (#1, 1977)
    Another favorite of mine, I can't let go of the catchy hook in the chorus.
  • Hot Child In The City - Nick Gilder (#1, 1978)
    Previously heard on Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day, Vol. 22 . Coming from an androgynous glam-rock background, it's hard to tell the gender of the singer. With catchy bass line and arrangement, it's as good as a song about child prostitution can get.
  • Sad Eyes - Robert John (#1, 1979)
    Also heard on Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day, Vol. 22. I remember the girls in 8th grade loved this sap, so I was forced to listen to it if I wanted to be near them. Of course, all 8th grade girls are interested in is high school boys, so why did I even bother?
  • Sentimental Lady - Bob Welch (#8, 1977)
    A solo recording from a former Fleetwood Mac member, this has a familiar early Mac sound to it. This song was a favorite of mine back in 1977.
  • Come Back When You Grow Up - Bobby Vee and the Strangers (#3, 1967)
    Here, the CD makes an abrupt change to '60s folk pop. Don't remember this song. Even though I loves me some soft pop, this is little to quaint for my tastes.
  • Traces - Classic IV (#2, 1969)
    Now here's some soft pop I can like. This seems like something my mother would have listened to in the station wagon in the late '60s. I always thought Classics IV was a great band name.
  • Honey - Bobby Goldsboro (#1, 1968)
    Same as previous song. This one's so sad, though.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: In March, 2008, I drove from Nacogdoches to Odessa (a 9 hour trip down I-20). Since I had lived in Odessa in the '70s, I went to the local Hastings and bought some used '70s CDs so I'd have the appropriate soundtrack for my long drive. This CD was one of those purchased.

Previously revisited for the blog: AM Gold Radio Gems (1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment